About a week ago, I realized I had a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). As it was late at night because it always is when you get a UTI. I mean seriously, do you ever get a UTI at a normal hour of the day when the doctor is actually in? No, you always get them late at night, kids are already in bed, doctor’s office is closed and there’s nothing but a big co-pay and hours at the ER waiting for you!
Well I was not wanting to drag everyone out of bed and go pay way too much at the ER. I found the usual natural UTI remedies: cranberry juice, colloidal silver, drinking tons of water. However, I didn’t have cranberry juice or colloidal silver and I was chugging tons of water and my red raspberry leaf tea but I knew that wasn’t going to be enough. When I get a UTI it pretty much goes from nothing to verge of kidney infection in seconds. I was already in decent pain and starting to bleed.
Then I came across baking soda. Hello my faithful little friend!
I mixed baking soda (I made sure to go with the chemical free kind) in water.
Forced it down (baking soda tastes like soap!)
I then proceeded to down quite a few more cups of water.
The next morning I was pretty much back to normal. I drank one more glass that day and kept drinking water like it was going out of style. The next few days, I made sure to drink tons of water and tea but I did nothing else. Well, I shouldn’t say nothing else. In addition to my usual prenatal vitamin (not pregnant right now, just breastfeeding) I took some extra vitamins. (okay I took an Airborne. Not my favorite or recommended vitamin but it’s what I had. 1 a night for a few days) Baking soda can deplete your body of vitamins and nutrients. Plus vitamin C is good for UTI’s.
This remedy is not suited for those with sodium restricted diets or pregnant women.
Natural UTI Remedy
1/2 tsp baking soda
Dissolve baking soda into water. Drink all.
Follow with a few glasses of water, red raspberry leaf tea, or unsweetened cranberry juice.
Repeat ever 4-6 hours.
Do not continue this remedy for longer than 2 days. If symptoms subsist then go to the doctor.
Now I have a few notes to add to this.
- I am not a doctor, I’m not in medical school. The closest I come to being a doctor is playing Dr. Mom.
- I’m not necessarily saying baking soda will cure all UTI’s. It cured mine but I’m not guaranteeing anything. If you do decided to give the baking soda a try and if in 2 days you aren’t back to normal; go to the doctor!
- Even if baking soda doesn’t cure a UTI, it will help with the pain and can get you through the night.
- Do not take more than 3 tsp of baking soda in 24 hours.
- Baking soda has quite a bit of sodium so if you are on a sodium restricted diet then you probably should avoid this remedy.
- You should probably avoid this remedy if you are pregnant as it’s high in sodium but it also robs your body of nutrients/vitamins.
I’m so glad I’ve found out about another use for baking soda! Even if it doesn’t cure any other UTI’s that I might get, I do know that it will help me get through the night!