I may receive commissions from purchases made through links in this article. Full Disclosure

If you are still painting your nails you’ll want to read these reasons to stop using nail polish!!!

Yes, you read that right, I have given up nail polish.

I have actually been nail polish free for quite a few months now.

Why? The answer is because nail polish is toxic. Just smelling a bottle of nail polish or even walking buy a nail salon will tell you that stuff is not healthy.

reasons to stop using nail polish

Reasons To Stop Using Nail Polish

What is in nail polish?

Toluene: a carcinogen and neurotoxin. Effects the nervous system.
Formaldehyde: a known carcinogen as well as a nose, throat, and eye irritant.
(DBP) Dibutyl Phthalate: a reproductive and developmental toxin and linked to the feminizing of boys. This should definitely not be used while pregnant.
Ethyl Acetate: a reproductive and developmental toxin. As well as a neurotoxin.
Aluminum Powder: can cause cancer. Also a reproductive and developmental toxin.

Yikes! Definitely not a good thing to put in our bodies.

Yes, I said in, these chemicals get absorbed into the skin through the nails.

The skin is not impenetrable, it absorbs chemicals everyday. It is our largest organ and the one most susceptible of toxins.

There are a few companies that are now free of the top three toxins: toluene, formaldehyde, and dibutyl phthalate, however they still contain other toxins.

Even if you found one that was decent, you would still have the problem of the nail polish remover.

My recommendation is to ditch the nail polish all together. It is really not that bad. If you trim and buff your nails, they will look quite nice and you will not be suffering any toxic consequences.

More Makeup Posts
Natural Makeup Choices
DIY Face Powder