As many of you know, car seat safety is an important topic for me. Car seats have come a long way since they were first introduced and because of them, children are now safer while riding around town. However, it’s not just about picking a car seat and strapping your child in, there are lots of rules to car seats and not all car seats are created equal.
One of my favorite car seat companies is Diono. I’ve gone through quite a few car seats with my kids but Diono car seats are definitely our favorite. A few years ago, I was able to review their Radian RXT. This is a great car seat and we loved it so much that we now have two! So when Diono offered me their new Pacifica car seat, I immediately said yes!
Diono recently launched a new car seat line with their Rainier, Pacifica, and Olympia. These car seats are like the 2.0 version of their old line (which is still being made by the way. You can still by the RXT, R120, and R100.)
Why the new line? Well, the new car seat line has a few amazing additions/changes from the old line! The new line has higher rear facing limits and forward facing limits than the old line. For instance, the Pacifica can rear face till a whopping 50 lbs, where as it’s old line counterpart, the R120 rear faces to 45 lbs.
Another change, is the extended expiration! Diono’s old line had one of the longest product life spans at 10 years. The new line has an expiration life of 12 years!!! This is great news for parents because it means you could buy a Diono when you have a newborn and it won’t expire until your child is 12 years old which is great considering most kids need to be in a booster until 10-12 years!
One car seat to last you from newborn to graduating to seat belts! That’s pretty impressive!
Now back to the Pacifica since it’s the model I am getting to review! As I mentioned above, the Pacifica has higher weight limits and a longer life span but there are other great reasons to use this seat such as…
- Full steel frame and aluminum reinforced sides for unmatched safety
- Reinforced extra deep sidewalls lined with energy-absorbing foam give Pacifica superior head and body protection
- Comfortably seats rear-facing children from 5 to 50 lbs
- Highest forward-facing capacity of any car seat in a 5-point harness: from 20-90 lbs (up to 57″ in height)
- Converts to booster mode for children between 50 and 120 lbs. (up to 57″ in height)
- Rear facing tether capability
- Space saving design allows extra room for passengers while providing spacious interior for child (You can fit 3 across!)
- Folds flat for travel and is FAA certified (A lifesaver when flying! Trust me!)
- NCAP crash tested, the industry benchmark for verifying child seat performance in severe accident conditions
- 12 year product life
Toddler: My daughter is 2.5 years so she could forward-face but since rear-facing is safer that is where she’ll stay.